Lifesaving and swimming instruction
This is an excellent opportunity for those who want to learn more about lifesaving. We offer a wide range of training for experienced lifeguards and for those who want to develop their skills in this field. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to approach an instructor, receptionist or supervisor.
Red-Cross swim program:
- Teaches all five strokes (front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke).
- Promotes fitness and endurance.
- Incorporates water safety knowledge such as boating safety, rescue skills and site safety.
- All Red-Cross Swim Program skills and knowledge are taught through progressions. This means that every level and each individual class is built on the previous one.
Red-Cross Swim Program Evaluation:
- Each level has a fixed set of criteria that the teachers are required to teach and evaluate.
- In order to successfully complete a level, the student must demonstrate ALL criteria for that level a MINIMUM of 3 SEPARATE TIMES throughout the session.
- Do not miss any classes. As teachers evaluate continuously, a missed class is also a missed evaluation.
- The focus of the Red-Cross Swim Program is on safety and technique. Speed is not evaluated and being the “fastest swimmer” does not guarantee the student passing onto the next level.
- Registering a child in a higher level than the instructor’s recommendation is demotivating for the child as the skills are too advanced for his or her ability and poses a security risk for all students.
- The report card lists all criteria required for that level and includes comments from the instructor. Do not throw the report card away as you will need to give it to the next instructor.
- The best way to understand your child’s progress is to speak with the instructor directly and often throughout the session.
- It is normal that a student excel in one skill but struggles with another. Regardless, the student must master ALL skills for that level in order to move onto the next.
- We offer public swim free of charge every day of the week. Take advantage of these times for practice.
- If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to approach the instructor, the front desk, or an aquatic supervisor.